Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Learner Response - PPE

1) Type up your feedback in full (you do not need to write mark/grade if you do not wish to).

WWW - This was an absolute joy to read in places with brilliant engagement and genuine originality and insight in your answers. A could of key lessons cost you you the A grade.

EBI - Q2: a huge lesson here! you don't answer the question (refer to the unseen text) and instead offer a paragraph on This is America. Do not do this in the real exam!

Q7 Needed a little more clarity in use  of theory... and Hall's reception theory would seem to an essential aspect to this question.



2) Did you succeed in meeting or exceeding your target grade for A Level Media? If not, how many additional marks do you need to achieve your target grade in this paper?

I believe my target grade was an A, I got a B instead at 63 marks. I was 5 marks off

The grade boundaries for this paper:

A* = 78; A = 68; B = 56; C = 46; D = 36; E = 26.

Now read through the AQA mark scheme. This is vital as the paper was an official specimen exam paper and therefore the mark scheme tells us a lot about what AQA are expecting us to produce. The original question paper is here if that is helpful too.



3) Write a question-by-question analysis of your performance. For each question, write how many marks you got from the number available and identify any points that you missed by carefully studying the AQA indicative content in the mark scheme:

Q1: 6/8

I don't believe I analysed the texts more apparent features such as the text etc enough as I should have, and instead focused on the implied meanings.

Q2: 6/12

I miss read the question and failed to mention the unseen text, that was the main thing that cost me my marks.

Q3: 6/9

I missed my marks in the details. If I was to add more theorists or spoken about e.g. Talking about equilibrium may have gotten me the extra marks.

Q4: 16/20 

 As with question 3, I believe I missed my marks by not adding as many details as I could have. If i was to also add a little more analysis to score hair cream with its ties into hyper masculinity, I may have gotten more marks.

Q6: 7/9

After reading my answers and the marks scheme, I believe that it is apparent that my main flaw is the fact that I tend to miss out on details. The same can be applied here too.

Q7: 16/20

The same as my prior questions 

Example: Q1: 5/8 marks
Additional points: didn't mention codes and conventions of music promotion flier/poster;  didn't discuss unconventional focus on mouth rather than eyes; didn't discuss idea that gender stereotypes are ironically reinforced to emphasise 'outsider' element of artist.

4) Look at Question 4 - a 20-mark essay evaluating how useful Judith Butler's theory of gender performativity is. Write a full essay plan for this question using the indicative content in the mark scheme and with enough content to meet the criteria for Level 4 (top level). This will be somewhere between 4-6 well-developed paragraphs planned in some detail.

Intro-

Agree with the idea presented, but only to an extent. discuss the idea of there being more important theories.

Para 1-


  • Context behind score hair cream
    • What that context means to the idea of masculinity 
  • Changing of masculinity - What it was then 
    • Growing male anxieties 
    • Soft skills
  • Beginning evolution of masculinity 
Para 2 - 

  • That Boss Life being a clear example of a changed idea of what it means to be masculine 
  • Here, disagree with the idea clearly with the point "there is no clear defined standardisation of masculinity
    • Manny Guiterez is an example of this
  • Stages of masculinity 
  • Rise of homosexuality 
Conclusion- 


  • use the argument of a lack of a standardised definition of masculinity to conclude the question combined with the idea that masculinity is in a constant state of change. 


5) Based on the whole of your Paper 1 learner response, plan FIVE topics / concepts / CSPs / theories that you will prioritise in your summer exam Media revision timetable.

Newspapers
Every CSP - primarily the OSP ones
Audiences
Theories
VideoGames

No comments:

Post a Comment